BP Trial Begins - Here's what you should know and what you can do
As the trial begins, BP contends that the company should not be taking the majority of the responsibility for the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. They argue that Transocean (whom a judge recently ordered to pay $1 billion in fines) and Halliburton were equally at fault in the disaster. BP also contends that the amount of oil spilled (estimated by the federal government to be more than 4 million barrels) is an overestimation of at least 20 percent. BP claims to have contained and collected 810,000 barrels of oil, the penalty should be based on no more than 3.1 million barrels, it said.
While BP claims that blame should be shared, Transocean and Halliburton both claim that they were following BPs lead, and insist that BP holds most of the responsibility.
While BP believes that it should be held to a more lenient standard, the Department of Justice has accumulated emails, documents, and testimonials in order to pursue charges of gross negligence.
There is a proposed settlement, which BP has yet to accept, offers BP the opportunity to pay $16 billion: $6 billion in Clean Water Act fines, $9 billion to resolve environmental penalties (NRDA - which would be tax deductible for the company), and $1 billion to cover unanticipated environmental damages. This is NOT ENOUGH. BP should pay every cent that it owes which includes upwards of $20 billion for CWA violations alone.
The New York Times:
The Chicago Tribune
Clips from the Rally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFJVLlvvXQ -Associated Press Video
Mississippi River Delta is organizing a weeklong campaign online. Please check out more ways to get involved through social media throughout the week – check out details here: http://www.mississippiriverdelta.org/blog/2013/02/26/send-a-message-to-bp-flood-their-inbox/
Event page for the Rally to #makeBPpay!
Share these photos on Facebook
@MSchleifstein – nola.com
@georgetalbot – al.com
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR:
And finally, for the writers out there, we have a letter to the editor push right now to respond to a lot of the press on the trial. Download template letters that can be edited and below, find a few different outlets and articles below that you can send to. Don’t forget to tweak it and make it your own! If you send in a letter, please email me and let me know that a letter has been sent in and to which outlet.
- Regional Papers
- TimesPic (so many articles that it’s less a response, more just a letter): http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2013/02/bp_trial_update.html#incart_river
- Press Register (Alabama, same case as Times Pic): http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/02/bp_trial_set_to_open_today_in.html
- National Media Outlets
- NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/business/energy-environment/as-bp-trial-nears-hints-of-progress-on-a-deal.html?partner=rss&;emc=rss&_r=1&
- WaPo: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/billions-of-dollars-are-at-stake-for-bp-as-trial-opens-for-gulf-oil-spill-litigation/2013/02/25/cfadad44-7f2d-11e2-a671-0307392de8de_story.html
- LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-bp-trial-day-one-20130225,0,243781.story